Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Sentence Variety

I return the Lego papers. The stapled portion is the part to keep for page count.

A. In your daybook:

1. On which line across the rubric did  you lose the most points?   Why?

2. On which line across the rubric did you get closest to 100% of available points?  Why? [If you got 100% in more than one category, congratulations. List them and explain how you did it!]


B. Get out your draft from yesterday, and count the number of words in the first three sentences. You will write the three numbers in a row on the board.

So? Open up The Everyday Writer to pages 311-313.


C. Now, combine the following sentences into ONE sentence. You can add, remove, or change words.

3.  a. Students are often tired.       b. Students (often/never) fall asleep in my classes.

Flip back in The Everyday Writer to page 287-292.

D. Click on the following Prezi. You will go through it at your own pace. When you are done, you'll answer the questions below in your daybook.

http://prezi.com/q2xhxi74tjqg/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share

4. List the coordinating conjunctions.

5. Write a sentence that uses "and" to join two verbs.

6. Write a sentence that uses "but" to join two clauses (short sentences).

7. List 8 subordinating conjunctions (there are many more).

8. Copy down the subordinating conjunction in each of the following sentences:
a. I was late for school because I forgot to set my alarm.
b. After I jumped out of bed, I had to call my car pool.
c. They were not happy when I was late to pick them up.

Homework:

1. Draft #2 of your Kickstarter on Paper is due tomorrow.

2. TWFTD: clause in OED

No comments:

Post a Comment